Big spenders: state and Fed Govts rack up $17.4B aged care services bill in 2016/17

Published on

That’s around $4,470 per older Australian, according to the latest Productivity Commission report on community services spending.

Four in five older Australians receive some form of government-funded aged care service, with the Federal Government footing most of the bill.

Around 70% of the money went towards residential care, with the remaining 30% spent on in-home care and flexible support.

However, almost one in three older people needing assistance reported their needs were not fully met, with the number even higher among people with a profound or severe disability.

Meanwhile home care waiting lists continue to expand, which must question village operator strategies to simply rely on this service to provide ‘care’ in their business model.

Share.