Government policy
5,000 older Australians died last year waiting for Home Care Packages: Senate Inquiry hears

In a hearing today (Friday, 29 August), the Senate Inquiry into Aged Care Service Delivery heard almost 5,000 older Australians died last financial year waiting for the level of Home Care Package they have been assessed as needing.

The Department of Health, Disability and Ageing revealed for the first time that 121,596 people are waiting for an aged care assessment. Until now, the Government has not released this data.

The revelation comes as more than 87,000 wait for the level of home care they have been assessed as needing, as the Government continues to freeze the rollout of new Home Care Packages.

The Government promised to deliver an additional 83,000 Home Care Packages from 1 July 2025, but Health, Disability and Ageing Minister Mark Butler, flanked by Aged Care and Seniors Minister Sam Rae, confirmed the packages would be delayed by four months after they deferred the new Aged Care Act until 1 November 2025.

Minister Butler yesterdaty tried to deflect the blame to operators stating workforce shortages were behind the decision to delay the rollout of additional Home Care Packages. At the Senate Inquiry into Aged Care Service Delivery today, providers said they are ready to deliver additional packages now. Ageing Australia, which represents 80% of the market, said 98% of providers they surveyed could support additional Home Care Packages immediately.

The Inspector-General for Aged Care Natalie Siegel-Brown was among numerous witnesses calling for the immediate release of 20,000 additional Home Care packages.

Aged Care Minister Sam Rae has accused ACT Independent Senator David Pocock (right) of using aged care for political purposes.

Today, Independent Senator Pocock said, “Far from ‘weaponsing’ this issue as the Minister claims, I am doing the job people in the ACT elected me to do, standing up for their concerns and pushing to get them the care they need when they need it.

“People shouldn’t be made to go without a shower or forced into hospital or residential aged care early just because the government won’t release the Home Care packages they’ve already budgeted for and that could keep people living at home.

“Older Australians and their families deserve better from this government and the dignity to age at home as long as they can.”

Shadow Minister for Aged Care, Senator Anne Ruston (left) said, “It is utterly unacceptable that there is likely more than 200,000 older Australians stuck in limbo — either waiting to be assessed or waiting for a package while Labor hides behind excuses.”

“This is a cruel betrayal of vulnerable Australians who deserve dignity, choice and independence in their later years. The money is there, the sector is ready – but Labor refuses to act.” 

The Committee will report on 15 September 2025.

Latest stories