Earle Haven boss ‘fed up’ with aged care

Published on

Arthur Miller, the owner and operator of PeopleCare which runs the Earle Haven Retirement Village, says he’s getting out of aged care, saying he’s ‘fed up’ with it.

Mr Miller admitted to a QLD parliamentary hearing last week that he was not up to the task of managing the high-care facility which closed suddenly on 11 July, resulting in 69 residents being evacuated.

The hearing heard of a decade of repeated regulatory failures from 2007, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

When it was put to Mr Miller that he was not up to the task of running the facility he said, “That’s correct.”

The CEO then went on to say he did not feel very happy about the questioning, accusing public servants who audited the home as being anti-Semitic. He was also highly critical of ‘disgraceful’ news reports on the closure of the high-care units.

Miller told the inquiry his wife, a highly qualified nurse, had been a director at the aged care facility from 2001, but in 2007 she became sick, stopped working and died in 2012.

He had been sole director since her death.

Miller then said, “I will not run aged care any more.”

The QLD inquiry finished on Friday, with a report due in October.

Share.