Gov to invest $563m to extend COVID-19 support in aged care

Published on

The Federal Government will open the purse strings for the aged care sector, with Health Minister Greg Hunt announcing $563.4m in funding on Monday.

This includes a COVID-19 supplement to provide facilities with PPE and training, extended until February 2021 at the cost of $245m.

A further $92.4m will be put into a scheme to support workers in areas affected by COVID-19 to work at one facility, which will now be available until June 30, 2021.

Funding for short-term home support for older Australians on leave from residential aged care is also set to be extended until next June, at the cost of $71.4m.

Mr Hunt also announced an extension of the COVID-19 aged care workforce retention payment to the tune of $154.5m.

“All of these things come together with a very simple goal,” Mr Hunt said.

“To save lives and protect lives within our aged care facilities and across Australia.

“We have overwhelmingly avoided those tolls in Australia, but we’re seeing in Victoria an agonising loss, so this will help Victoria continue to fight that.”

Colbeck going nowhere

This comes as Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck dismissed calls for his resignation from the Opposition last week.

“No, I haven’t considered my resignation,” Senator Colbeck said.

“I do believe I still have the confidence of the Prime Minister.

“I should have had the data in front of me when I required it – that is not an indication of the work that I‘m doing more broadly in the portfolio.”

Share.

About Author

The Weekly SOURCE is the leading media for retirement living and aged care businesses, delivering sector-specific news through four mastheads. Operating as part of The DCM Group, The Weekly SOURCE also provides a directory of proven sector specialists and an insights exchange.