Just 2 new cases in Victoria and no further deaths as the Premier flags announcement of “significant steps” on Sunday

Published on

Victoria reported two new cases on Friday, taking the state’s total number of active cases to 157.

This is a 22% drop on the 203 cases reported at the same time last week, and a significant 84% drop on the 991 cases reported this time last month.

There were 14 active cases in aged care, or 9% of the state’s total.

The state’s death toll remained 816, with no new deaths reported.

Metropolitan Melbourne’s rolling 14-day average fell to 8.7, down from Thursday’s total of 8.9, and remained steady at 0.6 in regional Victoria.

And there were 14 Victorians in hospital, with none in ICU.

Significant steps to be taken on Sunday

In his daily press briefing, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the state was well-placed to take “significant steps” on Sunday, but stopped short of moving to stage three of restrictions.

“On Sunday, I hope to be able to speak about what the week after and the week after that looks like and, indeed beyond that. To continue to update all Victorians on what rules will be in place, what behaviours need to be maintained, what behaviours pose the greatest risk to driving further infections,” he said.

Watch this space then.

Share.

About Author

Lauren is the Editor at DCM Group and has guided its range of media including The Weekly SOURCE, The Daily RESOURCE and The Donaldson Sisters since 2016. With 13 years’ experience as a journalist, editor and commentator, Lauren is the only journalist to have attended every session of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, producing 300 issues of the subscriber-only The Daily COMMISSION which offers exclusive insights and analysis of the issues surrounding the Royal Commission and the aged care sector.