An elderly couple at Anglicare’s Hopetoun Retirement Village (pictured) at Castle Hill, 31km north-west of Sydney CBD, have been hailed heroes after waking a neighbour whose unit was full of smoke and leading her to safety outside.
20 people had to be evacuated, including five suffering from smoke inhalation.
NSW Fire and Rescue Deputy Commander Inspector Kernin Lambert said fire crews were called to Hopetown Village, which is one of the five retirement living villages at Anglicare Castle Hill, on Monday at 7:17am.
Inspector Lambert said fire had broken out in the 85-year-old woman’s kitchen and smoke was coming from the unit.
He told radio station 2GB the elderly woman’s neighbours, aged 76 and 69, were alerted when they “heard the smoke alarm going”.
“They said there was smoke pouring out of the unit,” said Inspector Lambert.
“They gained entry through the back door, they’ve gone into her bedroom where she was asleep, they’ve woken her up and got her outside.”
The actions were heroic and must put the elderly couple in contention for a bravery award.
All residents were able to return to their units later yesterday.