Baptcare fined $20,000 after resident burned by hot coffee

Published on

The Not For Profit has been fined $20,000 after a 100-year-old resident suffered a hot coffee burn at the provider’s Frankston South aged care home.

The operator pleaded guilty at Melbourne Magistrates Court on October 31.

The Court heart that Baptcare had failed to ensure sub-contractors knew where emergency buttons were in the event of an incident.

The incident occurred when the resident spilt black coffee on her leg.

But rather than pressing the nearby emergency button, a sub-contracted catering assistant sought out assistance at the front entrance.

WorkSafe Executive Director of Health and Safety Julie Nielsen said sub-contractors must receive the same level of induction as permanent staff members.

“Employers have a duty of care to ensure that all staff are made aware of incident management procedures in high risk workplaces,” Ms Nielsen said.

“No matter the workplace or the circumstances, delays in emergency procedures leave staff and others in the workplace at serious risk to their health and safety.”

Share.