The United Kingdom’s first LGBT retirement community is finally set to open in London

Published on

The LGBT retirement community is set to open its doors by mid-July after developers, Tonic Housing, completed the construction with a £5.7m loan from the Mayor of London.

The 19-apartment complex, called Bankhouse, was built onto an existing development run by Not For Profit organisation One Housing, in Vauxhall, central London.

The one- and two-bedroom flats overlook the famous River Thames and the development will also provide assisted living for ageing residents, who are offered up to 75% ownership of their apartment with One Housing owning the remaining 25%.

Prices are expected to reach £135,000 ($242,000) for a one-bedroom flat with a 25% ownership share, and £180,000 ($323,000) for a two-bedroom flat, the BBC reported.

Meanwhile in Australia, developer and founder of Linton Estate, Peter Dickson, has been working on the proposed development of an LGBT village in Ballan, 80km west of Melbourne, for 13 years.

Share.